The Verse I live by:

Philippians 4:13 (NIV)
I can do everything through him who gives me strength.





Monday, August 29, 2011

A Woman Named Irene:


When someone is born into this world, there is a small group of people that are very interested in that person’s birth. Those people are the parents of the child, and of course the immediate family.

Sometimes; there is a person that comes along that really leaves a big impression on our lives, and a lot of people pay very close attention to that individual. Irene; was just such a person.

Born on Saturday, August 20, 2011 at 6:00 PM in the area of French Martinique in the Caribbean Sea; at first, they named her TS, but even in her infancy, people were taking notice of her. It was not long before millions of people were watching her every move.

Monday, August 22, 2011 Irene became a Hurricane; She was in the process of moving through the Caribbean and heading for the United States.

So why am I writing about a hurricane on my blog? Well; my youngest daughter, husband and their three children had left for Disney World in Orlando, FL. on Friday, August 19th for a week’s vacation. The ironic thing is, that when they got married on August 12, 1995, while on their honeymoon, they were chased out of Florida by another hurricane, so I was very interested in seeing and tracking hurricane Irene, and what she was going to do.

On August 25th, my oldest daughter went to visit her aunt and cousin in Durham, NC. She was going to be there for five days and will be returning home on Monday, August 29th.

So here is the overall picture; I have two children and they are both in other parts of the East Coast of the United States, and this woman called Irene is going to be affecting them, and I cannot do anything about it. As a parent, I can only watch and advise them as to what is coming up the coast.

As it turns out; my youngest and her family came home on Friday, August 26th and Irene was to come into town on Saturday the 27th and start messing with all of us. This woman was not even one week old and already she was affecting over 65 million people. How’s that for a captive audience?

Where my oldest daughter was in North Carolina, was only glanced by Irene and I was glad about that. Now today; my oldest is coming home and I sure hope that the airports are all operating, as over 13,500 flights over two days were cancelled. According to her airline and flight number, she will be coming direct to Boston. It will be good to get her back home as well.

Now; let’s look at some additional information about Hurricane Irene. First off; I cannot put into this blog the amount of damage Irene caused. She came up the East Coast as a category 3 (if I remember correctly) until she hit the Outer Banks of NC. When she left, she had been downgraded to a category 1, but even at that, she was to be taken seriously. The biggest problem was that Irene extended over 250 miles out from the eye of the hurricane. Ironic; as I type this blog entry, I just received a bulletin on Tropical Depression #12 that has developed in the Eastern Atlantic, near the Cape Verde Islands. Hum; here we go again.

Anyway; as Hurricane Irene came up the coast and approached New York City, there was great concern due to the potential of this storm doing serious damage in NY City. The center of the storm was going to track up the Connecticut River Valley; that put most of the heavy rain to the west of the eye, and the full force of the wind on the eastern side of the storm.

Talking about her track; let me fill in some of the details of where she had been and where she was going.

Sat.      8-20-11; French Martinique
Sun.     8-21-11; U. S. Virgin Islands
Wed.    8-24-11; The Bahamas
Thurs. 8-25-11; Nassau
Fri.       8-26-11; East of Daytona Beach
Sat.      8-27-11; Outer Banks of NC
Sun.     8-28-11; 4AM; Atlantic City, NJ
                            10AM; Bridgeport, CT
                             1PM; Holyoke, Ma.

At my home in Dracut, Ma., it rained off/on of varying intensity as well as gusty winds, but we were safe and no damage. That cannot be said of everyone. As I write this blog entry, there are still hundreds of thousands of people without power, including my daughter’s house where she will be returning to, later today. I hope that it is fixed by then.

All I can say is; Good-by Irene, it was not nice to have you pay a visit. You will be remembered from all the damage and heartache that you left behind.  

No comments:

Post a Comment