The Verse I live by:

Philippians 4:13 (NIV)
I can do everything through him who gives me strength.





Friday, July 29, 2011

Nursing Home Visitation

Well; again we find ourselves looking at another Friday morning; some may look at it as the day that they start their weekend, but; for me, it's the day that I make my rounds at the various nursing homes in the Greater Lowell, Ma. I state the location as I am not aware who reads these blogs, so I want them to have an idea on where I am located.

Visiting nursing homes for me, started about seven years ago when I was asked (as the Visitation Pastor) to go and visit one elderly man from our congregation, who had recently entered a facility in Lowell, Ma. As a side note, I usually visit from 1-4 nursing homes on Friday's.

As I would visit Harry (who has gone home to be with the Lord) I would find myself being introduced to either Harry's room mate or someone new. Over the past seven years this has grown from one nursing home to a total of seven nursing homes that we (along with four other people) either visit on a weekly basis, or conduct a monthly Worship and Preaching of God's Word. More on that in a minute.

It wasn't long after that start of visiting nursing home that the Lord began to speak to my heart about expanding  to other facilities, and here is the reason for doing that.
Romans 3:23 tells us that....."All have sinned and come short of the Glory of God"
Romans 6:23 states....."The wages of sin is death, but the gift of God, is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
So you see, all of us need the Lord; folks that have been placed into a nursing home, or into a rehab center, are about as close to stepping out into eternity, and facing Heaven or Hell, as they will ever be.

Therefore; I believe that the Lord has expanded this area of my ministry, in order to reach those who need Christ, and come into the knowledge of His Saving Grace.

I don't want to make this blog too long, so let me wrap it up by giving you the following information that I mentioned above.

On a monthly basis, this is what takes place....
  • Conduct two monthly Services on the second Saturday of each month
  • Conduct a weekly Bible Study in two different areas of a nursing home, one on the nursing home side, and one on the Assisted Living side.
  • Conduct two monthly Bible Studies at two different nursing home locations, which are done by two different couples on our Nursing Home Ministry Team
  • Weekly visits to 2-4 nursing homes, depending on the week
  • Visit other facilities on an as needed basis. 
I want to thank the Lord for His Grace in allowing our team members to have this outreach in reaching the lost in their not so golden years. We want them to have hope in our returning Lord, as we do.

Blessings: 

No comments:

Post a Comment