The Verse I live by:

Philippians 4:13 (NIV)
I can do everything through him who gives me strength.





Monday, February 23, 2015

What's Behind The Face?

Hello Everyone:

I hope that your Monday went well.

Last night; after coming home from church, lunch and a nice nap.I was sitting in the living room with my wife watching the Hall Mark Channel. I began to think of the many folks I have met over the last 10+ years in the Nursing Homes that we visit, either on a weekly or monthly basis. 

I began to think about how people see those who reside in a nursing home; maybe they think that these folks just sit around all day with blank stares on their faces, or perhaps cannot hear what is being said to them. Truth be known, sometimes, all it takes is a kind word spoken, or to show them that you are interested in what their lives were like in the years past. 

Well; I want to share with you, the lives "Behind the Faces" of two (2) individuals that I had met some years ago. 

I know that ladies are suppose to go before men, but in this case, I will first tell you about Paul. I had seen Paul many times before as we gathered for the Bible Study, but on this particular day, Paul was sitting in his normal seat in the back of the room, and I had arrived about 15 minutes earlier than I normally would. The Activity Staff were still scurrying from room to room bringing folks into the dining room for the study. As they were doing that, I sat down with Paul and began to ask him about what he had done in the working years of his life. Paul had never said much to me before that day, but again, it was asking the first question that opened Paul to hold a conversation. 

I had asked Paul what he did for work and what companies he worked for, and as he began to tell me, I was really taken back by his answers. Paul told me that, at one time, he worked for a large commercial airline as a A&P (no; not the grocery store chain). He had a Aircraft & Power Plant Rating which allowed him to work on any part of an aircraft as a mechanic, which he did for several years. Paul also stated that he (if I remember correctly, as its been about a year since I have seen Paul) also worked for the B&M Railroad,(and possibly worked on trolley cars) as a mechanic as well. One of the biggest surprises that Paul brought up, was that he was instrumental in assisting the building and running of the Seashore Trolley Museum, in Kennebunkport, Maine. As I just stated, I have not seen Paul for a while. Not sure if he passed away, or transferred to another facility. 

Bottom line with Paul; You never know who or what is Behind the Face until you ask. 

On a side note; I wish young people could, or would take the time to sit with some of these folks to hear the knowledge they have, and they are more than willing to share.

My next story is about a woman named Jackie. Jackie was totally different than Paul, as I will explain.

As I arrived at a nursing home one day. I was asked by a woman who was visiting her husband in that nursing home,  if I would mind being introduced to a woman whom she thought that might be interesting for me to speak too. I am always willing to meet someone in their later years of life that I could add to my Peeps list. 

As I entered Jackie's room, the following conversation took place...

ME: Hi Jackie, my name is Pastor Steve:

JACKIE: Are you a Priest?

ME: No; I'm a Minister:

JACKIE: I'm a Catholic, and you will never convert me. I taught Parochial School for 20 years. 

ME: Good for you on your long term as a teacher. I'm Protestant; and I can't convert you; only Jesus can. 

JACKIE: You will never get me to go to your church.

ME: I don't care if you ever show up in our church.

That was the beginning of a relationship that lasted over a period of two years. I would go visit Jackie every week as I was making my rounds in that nursing home, and believe it or not, the conversations became longer, and longer. We would talk about anything and everything that came up, or the events of the day as the world was growing worse and worse. 

Over time; Jackie began to ask me about the things of God, as I had been injecting little tid-bits of God's love for her. I cannot take the time or space in this Blog to list all of what happened in that two year (or so) time, but I will highlight the most important events below.

As the months went by, I dropped in to see Jackie on day, and she stated that she was interested in coming to visit our church. My mind raced back to the first day I met her, when she stated...You will never get me to go to your church. At that point, I did not push her to tell my why she was changing her mind, I just let her know that I would arrange transportation for her to attend. I asked a lady in our church to call Jackie and arrange to pick her up on a Sunday morning, and return her to the nursing home, as Jackie was in a wheel chair. 

The Sunday came when Jackie paid our church a visit. After service, I asked her how she liked it. She stated that it was different, but she enjoyed the music. 

The following week when I went to visit Jackie; we spoke more about the church and why everyone needs a personal relationship with Jesus. 

A few more weeks went by and Jackie came to church again. After service I got the same answers. She liked the service and music. Nothing more was said. 

Not sure how many more weeks went by, but one Sunday there was Jackie sitting in her wheel chair in the isle about three pews back. As the Worship Service was going along, I looked down and saw Jackie using one foot to pull herself down the isle and heading to the alter. I came down off the platform and knelt down beside Jackie, as she had tears flowing down her cheeks. I asked her what was wrong. She stated she didn't know,but said that a still small voice was telling her to go down to the alter. That was the day that Jesus converted Jackie, and she became a Born Again Believer, and Child of God. 

That was the last time Jackie ever came to our church. Within just a months, her physical condition deteriorated, she was not, or could not communicate with anyone anymore and she went home to be with the Lord. 

OK, so why did I share these two stories? First and foremost. People in the so called golden years, or later years of their lives, need to hear about Jesus Christ and what He did on the Cross of Calvary. They are as close to eternity as they will ever get without crossing over the line of no return. Secondly; You never know what is you never know what is behind the faces of those you meet until you begin to talk to them. Rest assured, they are waiting to hear from you.

Blessings:     

No comments:

Post a Comment