The Verse I live by:

Philippians 4:13 (NIV)
I can do everything through him who gives me strength.





Friday, August 16, 2013

Why Should I Go To The Gym?

I think that, that is a reasonable question. This past February (2013) at age 65, my wife informed me that there would be a new Gym opening up in Dracut, Ma. (where we live) and my response (IIRC) was, So! She thought that it would be a good idea for her to join, and I said "go for it," but was not convinced at that time, that it was something that I wanted to do.

After talking about it for several weeks, I thought "Why Not" join with her and see if we can shed what 65 years of life had added to us. I keep thinking of the commercial on TV that I see. "I pick things up, and put things down." Kind of funny, but it makes a point. At least the guy at the gym didn't show me out the back door. Well the month of May came around and on the 22nd of the month the new gym (not stating the name, as I am not promoting a particular company) opened up on a Wednesday, and I believe that it was the Thursday that we both went.

Actually; we had spread the word to others in the church we attend, and I believe that there were a total of 8 people that also joined. Anyway, it did not take long for my wife and I to find out how out of shape we were. Five minutes on the treadmill, at a 1.5 (normal walking) speed setting, my body was screaming at me; "What Are You Doing? Are You Crazy?" Heart rate was up, breathing was heavy and the thought came to my mind; this is not going to be a quick fix.

Now; four months later and things have changed a lot. I only use the treadmill only to warm up and get all the body parts to fall in order, so I can start using the different machines to tone up sagged and drooped over the years. I started out with weight settings of 30 Lbs; Now we are using a settings of 40 Lbs on only one machine and 70-90 on the others, except 130 Lbs on the leg press machine.

I was trying to go at least 3 times a week, but found it very difficult to go after working all day when the energy level was a big "0". So; being a morning person, I have switched to getting up at 4:00 AM three times a week to get to the gym at 4:45 AM, and I go on Monday's about 9:00 AM.

Bottom line: Energy lever at 4:00 AM is high; weight is starting to come off; I can feel the results of the muscles starting to tone up and I am feeling better. Don't know how it will be trying to get out the door (and have to shovel) in the winter months, but we will cross that frozen river when the time comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment